It wasn't as straight forward as I had hoped, as it was basically two half ovals sewn together down the middle along their selvage. This meant that if I wanted to cut a dress using only three pieces, that I was limited to using the very middle piece of each half.
Doing this meant that the birds in the print ended up being on their sides and that I had to very carefully join the front and back pieces so that the piping matched.
I didn't line or sew in a facing (Liesel don't tell your sewing teacher) to see if it made a difference and I think it did. The neckline is a bit gapey. I think two layers of fabric would help it sit flatter.
I was going to bind it in chocolate brown but Bren convinced me to use the same colour as the piping and I did and I'm so pleased I did too.
I think this is probably one of those dresses that someone who knew a thing or two about dressmaking would look at and raise their eyebrows, but anybody who didn't know would think it was ok.
I do love this fabric though. The selvage said it was made in England by Crowsons Fabric.
I have no idea how old it is but it was well loved as a tablecloth because it is rather worn in places on the hemline.
I think I'm going to wear it to a photo shoot this afternoon for the cover of a recipe book showcasing the producers and chefs in this area.
I might also wear my gorgeous new brooch from Kylie.
And just in case you think my life is all glamorous or something, the brief for the shoot did ask us to bring a couple of chooks along with us.
I hope your Monday is a funday. XX